[Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for May 20

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Fri May 21 06:13:30 UTC 2010

As requested, here's the weekly Flagged Protection update.

The quick summary is that we are continuing with pre-rollout activities,
including UI polish, text and naming cleanup, and rollout planning.

One important milestone passed is that Tim Starling has looked over the
code and done some profiling and given it his blessing from a
performance perspective. He and the rest of the ops folks feel like the
production gear is also in good shape for rolling this out. However, to
prevent unpleasant launch surprises we've put in a configurable limit to
the number of pages protected with this. We'll start out at a limit of
2000 and bump it up based on actual production performance.

We believe we are technically ready to try out a labs version of the
German config, just to double-check that our recent work will cause them
no headaches. However, we need some German-speaker at least hazily
familiar with FlaggedRevs to prepare the main page and help us with a
call for testers. Any assistance there would be appreciated!

Speaking of assistance, we always welcome people trying out the
extension before it goes live. You can do that here:

http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

To see what we've changed this week, there's a list here:

http://flaggedrevs.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia:Flagged_Protection_updates#2010_May_20

To see the upcoming work, it's listed in our tracker, under Current and
Backlog:

http://www.pivotaltracker.com/projects/46157

We expect to release to labs again next week, and each week thereafter
until this goes live on the English Wikipedia.

William