[Foundation-l] deployment of Vector to other languages -

Amir E. Aharoni amir.aharoni at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed May 19 16:45:17 UTC 2010

I have a few questions about the deployment of Vector in Wikipedias in
other languages.

1. When does the Foundation plan to perform the switch?

2. At least two major features which were not included in the Beta,
were enabled in the English Wikipedia: the new search box with "Go"
and "Search" buttons and the collapsible sidebar which hides
interlanguage links by default. A significant number of users in
en.wikipedia expressed their dissatisfaction with them and with the
fact that they were introduced by surprise. They are still not a part
of the Beta in other languages. Will they be enabled in other
languages when they are switched to Vector?

3. Did anyone consider appointing "Vector migration czars" in
Wikipedias in other languages? Because despite what some people might
think, quite a lot of speakers of other languages don't bother looking
at en.wikipedia and WMF blogs and mailing lists. I wrote a little
about the good (IMHO) and the bad (IMHO) features about Vector in the
Village Pumps of Wikipedias in languages that i know - Hebrew, Russian
and Catalan. I can report that there are a couple of JavaScript gurus
in he.wikipedia who have a positive attitude towards Vector and who
gradually adapt the gadgets to it, and there are a few other JS gurus
who hate Vector and who don't want to bother about it and recommend
everyone to stay with Monobook. (Although my attitude may seem
negative, i actually belong to the first camp.) The situation is
similar in the Russian Wikipedia.

4. Finally, does the Foundation plan to gather any other feedback from
other language Wikipedias except the "Beta retention rate"?

Thanks in advance.

--
אָמִיר אֱלִישָׁע אַהֲרוֹנִי
Amir Elisha Aharoni