[Foundation-l] drive-by site updates

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Sun May 16 15:25:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 5:15 PM, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 16 May 2010 17:14, Svip <svippy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 16 May 2010 17:12, Magnus Manske <magnusmanske at googlemail.com> wrote:

> >> <sigh>
> >> Type "begin" in the box, hit the cursor-up key to select the last rows
> >> in the suggest box, hit enter.
> >
> > <sigh>
> > That is /real/ user friendly.  I bet Joe Public can figure that one out.
>
> Also, I apologise for sending this mail out too quick, but your
> suggestion didn't work.  Unless you consider the 'AJAX-suggestions' to
> be 'search' (which it isn't, btw).

It was kinda announced on the techblog -
http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2010/05/simplified-search-for-vector/  - but I
was expecting some more testing before any rollout. For example, for me the
search box magic that would suggest the "containing" pages doesn't seem to
load at all (FF 3.6.4, XP).

The collapsible sidebar is actually a nice feature but as suggested above, I
would probably keep the interwiki links visible (if the majority of visitors
come outside the anglophone countries, which I am guessing is the case), as
they can be quite useful for non native speaker visitors to find out about
the Wikipedias in their own language (using some JS trick to offer the
version in their browser's language more prominently would work as well).

Best,
Bence