[Foundation-l] Spectrum of views (was Re: Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening)

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri May 14 08:55:15 UTC 2010

Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva wrote:
> 2010/5/13 Jussi-Ville Heiskanen <cimonavaro at gmail.com>:
>
>> Samuel Klein wrote:
>>
>>> I agree strongly with this.  You are right to point out the connection
>>> to improving BLP policies -- we should be much more careful to
>>> confirming model rights for people in any potentially exploitative or
>>> embarrassing photos.
>>>
>>> Such ideas have been around for a long time.  What are the arguments
>>> against implementing stronger requirements for images of people?
>>>

>> Not an argument as such, but I would imagine that
>> with regard to amateur photography of all sorts, in
>> the long term the main effect would be to educate
>> them in the correct practices of model rights. After
>> all I would expect that amateur photographers would
>> not really have great difficulty in obtaining model
>> rights, once they know that is a requirement.
>>

> Why just amateur photos? Professional should respect model rights as
> much as amateur photos.

I think my unwritten assumption was that amateurs
might not in all cases know what is required, but
professionals do -- as a default; the professionals who
don't, not deserving the name.

>> None of these is an argument against, as such, just
>> pointing out some of the ramifications that might
>> follow. My guess is that after a lot of existing images
>> were removed, the ratio of new images uploaded would
>> infact be skewed *in* *favor* of amateur images,
>> rather than *against*. I could be wrong of course.
>>

> Interesting. Why do you think so?

I think deep down it comes down to the profit
motive. Enthusiasts rarely are governed by it,
so they give freely. I would imagine that if some
amateur photographer in the process of donating
their images learned more about model releases
and all that jazz, they would infact be grateful,
and more motivated than ever to "pay forward" for
the learning experience. Certainly it has been my
personal experience writing on wikipedia, that as
I learn more, the more I feel an obligation to pay
forward, for what I have recieved.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen