[Foundation-l] Legal requirements for sexual content -- help, please!

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Fri May 14 02:20:53 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> The obligation to protect people against an invasion of their privacy
> is not limited to, or even mostly applicable to sexual images.
> Although sexual images are one of several "most important" cases, the
> moral imperative to respect the privacy of private individuals exists
> everywhere.
>
> As such, Commons has a specific policy on this:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Photographs_of_identifiable_people#Photographs_taken_in_a_private_place

Not much of a policy, in my opinion. A general statement of principle,
with no mechanism of enforcement, doesn't have much impact on the
state of things. We don't require evidence of release, but we should.
And in the case of explicit content, we should require that release
even if the photograph is taken in a public place. Topless sunbathing
on a beach in Nice is not the same as a worldwide license for
unlimited publicity.

Nathan