[Foundation-l] Funny news from Poland

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu May 13 22:30:33 UTC 2010

2010/5/13 geni <geniice at gmail.com>:
> 2010/5/13 Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek at gmail.com>:
>> As you maybe now, after the sudden death of Lech Kaczynski (jn airjet
>> crash in Smolens) we have now fast presidential election. One of the
>> most serious candidates Bronisław Komorowski was cached with printed
>> copy of Wikipedia article about
>>
>> "Rada Bezpieczeństwa Narodowego"
>>
>> http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rada_Bezpiecze%C5%84stwa_Narodowego
>>
>> a presidential advisory board for national security :-)
>>
>> Journalist from Poland just started commenting if we really need a
>> president who's main source of  knowledge about national security
>> comes form Wikipedia :-).
>>
>> http://wiadomosci.onet.pl/2169210,11,wikipedia_nowym_doradca_komorowskiego,item.html
>>

>> --
>> Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
>> http://pl.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Polimerek
>> http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/
>> http://www.ptchem.lodz.pl/en/TomaszGanicz.html
>>

> Given the simply staggering coverage of millitry issues on various
> wikimedia projects I can think of worse places to start.

Yes, but, from a professional point of view, our coverage of
geopolitical and national security and military issues *sucks*.

Sorry to be blunt, but it's terrible.

The WikiProject Military people are great at military  history and
hardware; contemporary issues and strategy and tactics and
capabilities coverage, the sorts of things needed by current leaders,
are not good.

Our geopolitics issues are largely captured by special interest
subgroups of people, ...

It's not bad as a high school level intro, perhaps; not entirely
neutral, but not bad at that level.  It would not survive exposure to
grad school level challenges or actual real world issue handling, by
and large.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com