[Foundation-l] Along with Vector, a new look for changes to the Wikipedia identity

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Thu May 13 21:34:19 UTC 2010

Mike.lifeguard wrote:
> The globe isn't actually too small, I think it just _looks_ that way
> because:
>
> 1) the new logo has more space in it, in particular at the top
>
> 2) the new logo is typically viewed with Vector, which has more space
> around the logo than monobook did. Take a look at the new logo with
> ?useskin=monobook and I think you'll find it looks "larger". In fact,
> monobook crowded the logo a bit uncomfortably.
>
> For use in Vector, I think the logo could be made larger, as it
> currently does not fill the space set aside for it. Vector handles the
> spacing; the logo doesn't need to have padding in the image as well.
>
> --Mike

Come on. The v2 *is* smaller.
Open http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bc/Wiki.png and
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Wikipedia-logo-v2-en.png
on two different tabs and switch between them.
You will notice the change from italic to normal, that the W was bigger
(bolder?) on the previous logo (we may want to increase it on v2) and
that the ball was bigger.
And by bigger I mean that on the previous logo the borders of the circle
reached the left border of the W and the right of the A.
The v2 goes from the middle of the W to 25% of the A.

This is not a visual effect. Put your cursor on the right border of the
globe and change tabs. Whoops, now there is almost a full piece to the
border.