[Foundation-l] Spectrum of views (was Re: Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening)

Pedro Sanchez pdsanchez at gmail.com
Thu May 13 20:17:41 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Aryeh Gregor
<Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com<Simetrical%2Bwikilist at gmail.com>
> wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 7:53 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Aryeh Gregor <
> > Simetrical+wikilist at gmail.com <Simetrical%2Bwikilist at gmail.com> <
> Simetrical%2Bwikilist at gmail.com <Simetrical%252Bwikilist at gmail.com>>>
> wrote:
> >> [[Daniel Pearl]] does not contain an image
> >> of him being beheaded (although it's what he's famous for), and
> >> [[Goatse.cx]] does not contain an image of its subject matter.  Why?
> >>

> > Primarily because of copyright issues, at least with regard to the
> latter, I
> > believe.  I used to joke about "what's next, a photo on Goatse.cx?" when
> > arguing with the "when you look up X you expect a photo of X" crowd, but
> > then, for a while it actually came true.
>
> This is a standard fair-use case: it's a notable image, and our
> informative article about it is not complete without a copy of the
> image.  It's the same reason we can put an image on, I don't know,
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dora_Maar_au_Chat>.  Except we don't,
> because it's revolting.

It's at this moments that I'm really thankful that spanish wikipedia has
committed to actually be a free-content encyclopedia and only use Commons
material (which, as we know, doesn't allow fairuse).

I can only hope all this shaking won't change that.