[Foundation-l] Commons: An initial notice to reduce surprises

Bence Damokos bdamokos at gmail.com
Tue May 11 18:24:55 UTC 2010

Samuel Johnson[1] was an English lexicographer who published a Dictionary of
the English Language[2] and this is what they said about him and his
dictionary, according to Wikiquote:[3]

Mrs. Digby told me that when she lived in London with her sister, Mrs.
> Brooke, they were every now and then honoured by the visits of Dr. Johnson.
> He called on them one day soon after the publication of his immortal
> dictionary. The two ladies paid him due compliments on the occasion. Amongst
> other topics of praise they very much commended the omission of all *
> naughty* words. 'What! my dears! then you have been looking for them?'
> said the moralist. The ladies, confused at being thus caught, dropped the
> subject of the dictionary.
>
>    - H.D. Best, *Personal and Literary Memorials,* London, 1829, printed
>    in *Johnsonian Miscellanies,* (1897) vol. II, page 390, edited by
>    George Birkbeck Hill

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson
[2] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Dictionary_of_the_English_Language
[3] http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Samuel_Johnson#Quotes_about_Johnson