[Foundation-l] Spectrum of views (was Re: Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening)

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:06:53 UTC 2010

On 11 May 2010 16:44, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are other resources which address these subject areas in a
> manner which religious conservatives may find more acceptable, such as
> conservapedia.

Actually, Conservapedia has almost no readers or editors. (Its
activity rate is marginally higher than Citizendium.) Even the
American Christian right-wing conservatives have no use for it.

> I'd like to address an idea that underlies a lot of this discussion
> which I think is patently ridiculous:   That our inability to please
> _everyone_ on _all_ articles is actually something to worry about.
> It's not something that can actually be done, all we can hope to
> choose is decide who we'll please, and by our core principles it
> appears that we've chosen to error towards the libertarians.  In terms
> of overall popularity we would have better off not to, but then again
> I doubt we could have built something so useful another way. There is
> no existence proof yet, at least.

By the way, there appears to be an assumption - on the part of board
members, the WMF and some contributors to this thread - that Commons
has been somehow indiscriminate in what it accepts. This is *entirely
false*. Else this wonderful template would not exist:

    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Template:Nopenis

See every other teplate starting "no" in
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Message_templates .

(And yes, someone already did a version of the icon for [[m:DICK]].)

- d.