[Foundation-l] Potential ICRA labels for Wikipedia

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:42:15 UTC 2010

the key distinction  is that a method for getting a list of files in a
category is a good thing for many purposes, and is morally totally
neutral. The ethical questions depend on what other people do with the
list, and like all intellectual work, it can be used for  ends any
person might think desirable or undesirable. To use it for compiling a
better guide to content than we can do ourselves, for example, would
be a very good end. We might want to restrict people from using it to
a bad end, as suggested by some, by  altering our terms of service,
but that would be opposed to our being a free resource in the
expansive sense of free that commons is, and would contradict our
licensing.

The opportunity for an individual to select what images to see,
another proposal,  is also neutral.

on the other hand, adding descriptors for levels of suitability set by
or corresponding to those set by outside sources cannot be used for a
good end, but only for the bad end of censorship. And it contradicts
our basic policy that we do not make conclusions about suitability or
truth or other values. There is no reason to actively work to gain a
capacity that can only be used by those who oppose the basic values of
free culture. It's as if we added a capacity to the software to charge
for viewing an article--and that's not even intrinsically wrong, but
it's not a suitable purpose for free software.

David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.