[Foundation-l] "Filtering" ourselves is pointless

Guillaume Paumier gpaumier at wikimedia.org
Mon May 10 21:57:22 UTC 2010

Hi,

Le lundi 10 mai 2010 13:25:29, David Gerard a écrit :

> Any attempt to "filter" ourselves is not addressing the fact that the
> images exist at all on Commons.
>
> Any attempted appeasement of these vicious morons was and is
> counterproductive at best. Fox News is best aggressively ignored from
> now on and given similar cooperation to the Register.

"Filtering" ourselves would be pointless if our goal was to appease Fox [1].
However, I think most of us agree that it has not been, is not and should not
be our goal. As you say very well yourself, Fox is best left ignored.

Our goal is to facilitate the dissemination of free knowledge, and to provide
the best experience possible to our readers, our participants and more
generally our population of users.

In this context, I think it makes sense to research the needs or our users,
and investigate possible ways to improve their experience on our websites. If
a significant amount of our users wish to be able to filter out some parts of
our content, we should do our best to empower them to do so, as a service to
them.

[1] I'm having a hard time using the oxymoron "Fox News", so I'm just using
"Fox".

--
Guillaume Paumier
Product Manager, Multimedia Usability