[Foundation-l] Sexual Imagery on Commons: where the discussion is happening

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Mon May 10 19:34:43 UTC 2010

David Goodman writes:

I have been taking an extreme anticensorship position, but I would
> consider this acceptable.  People certainly do have the right as
> individuals to select what they want to see.  It is not censorship,
> just a display option Such  display options  could be expanded--I
> would suggest an option to initially display the lead paragraph only,
> of articles in certain categories.

I just had a thought -- what if it were possible for a user to categorically
block views of any images that are not linked to in any project's article
pages?  Presumably, those Commons images that are found in articles are
relevant and appropriately encyclopedic (speaking generally -- I also assume
there are some exceptions). Images that were just "dumped" to Commons
without being associated with any particular article would still be
available to those who were looking for them -- perhaps to complement a
particular article that needs illustration -- but the umpteenth superfluous
porn shot (or unconnected Muhammed image) would be invisible to those who
chose this option.

Obviously, this notion is too cute to actually be helpful, but I thought I'd
share it.

--Mike