[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Marcus Buck me at marcusbuck.org
Mon May 10 10:45:08 UTC 2010

Tim Starling hett schreven:
> On 10/05/10 15:25, Elias Gabriel Amaral da Silva wrote:
>
>> BTW, I also have a broader question. Who entrusted power to the Board
>> of Trustees?
>>

> Jimmy Wales determined the structure of the Wikimedia Foundation when
> he created it. He and Bomis donated the relevant assets, such as the
> domain names, to the Foundation at the time it was formed.
>
> We should remember, when we criticise his use of whatever remnant of
> power that he has left, that he could have easily structured Wikimedia
> as a for-profit entity, with him retaining majority control. We have
> Jimmy to thank for Wikimedia's non-profit status, its open-source
> software stack and its free content license.

If Wikipedia wouldn't have been so free today it would stand where
Citizendium stands and another free encyclopedia project would have
evolved in place. Wikipedia wasn't the only community-driven
encyclopedia project. But it made the race and beat all its competitors
cause no other project was as free and easily accessible as Wikipedia.

Marcus Buck
User:Slomox