[Foundation-l] Where things stand now

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sun May 9 14:21:23 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 10:11:40AM +0100, Jimmy Wales wrote:
> On 5/8/10 3:29 PM, Amory Meltzer wrote:
> > I recognize that the issue is more about the point and process of the
> > whole thing, and that it's not just Wales who deleted images, but I
> > think some perspective is useful.
> >
> > Jimbo deleted 71 images.
> >
> > That doesn't call for outright rage.
>
> And I deleted some things that I assumed would be undeleted after a
> discussion.  I wanted us to take an approach that involved first
> deleting a lot of borderline things, and then bringing them back after
> careful case by case discussions.
>
> That proved to be quite unpopular, and I'm sorry about it.

Sure, your strategy was fairly sound. And things always go wrong in the
heat of battle. So that part actually went fairly well.

There were some issues in communications, though:
As part of a root cause analysis at some future date:
* You did not adequately communicate your strategy or urgency
  beforehand. (Though you did clearly try)
* You did not pick up on signals from others when you were causing
  collateral damage. (Don't reject what people are telling you.
  When warned: Act with caution, use discretion)
* Some of your early statements created an atmosphere where people
  did not feel comfortable cooperating or communicating with you, which
  meant that you were somewhat precluded from receiving optimal,
  reliable, timely intelligence in the first place. (Don't threaten
  to block people for talking back at you)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

--
[Non-pgp mail clients may show pgp-signature as attachment]
gpg (www.gnupg.org) Fingerprint for key  FEF9DD72