[Foundation-l] Statement on appropriate educational content

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Sun May 9 10:46:49 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 9, 2010 at 7:09 AM, K. Peachey <p858snake at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> Bugzilla 982[1]  MediaWiki should support ICRA's PICS content labeling.
> From my understanding without reading much about it, It [ICRA] is ment
> to be a "international" or at least a standard for these things which
> most people seem to abide by (i see it splashed around on a lot of
> education sites that they are compliant with that standard).

I'm not sure if it was PICS, but in general I have bad experience with
trying to rate the content of my page. I had a website (it still
exists, but I cannot reach it any more to change it) that contained a
number of biographies. It was sometimes used by middle and high school
children for schoolwork. However, trying to rate it, it came out in
one of the heaviest categories. Why? As said, it contained
biographies. And some were of people who died in a violent way. Thus,
the pages were portraying extreme violence. That's when I decided that
this rating system wasn't really useful for my site.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com