[Foundation-l] Reflections on the recent debates

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sun May 9 08:36:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, Noein wrote:

> I'm powerless. Am I? I think many of us are having these very questions
> now. Is it good for the WMF that we're asking them?

Eloquence is power.  And it is good that you are asking.

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 2:57 PM, Noein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with Mike Godwin that this crisis is an constructive
> opportunity, not just a destructive event about fears (of FBI, of Fox
> News, of dictatorship), angers and disappointments.
>
> But an opportunity for what?
> - - to constructively discuss the censorship problem.
> - - to constructively discuss the vulnerability of the WMF
> - - to constructively discuss the Commons policy
>
> Let's start to pinpoint and synthesize the few big problems and link to
> a wikipage to BUILD discussion and answer.

You put this very well.  Each of these should be discussed in turn on
Meta.  I've made a start at the first one:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Censorship

> 200 mails a day is not  the way, in my opinion,
> besides the fact that this current discussion
> is not  (and should not be) restricted to this mailing list.

True on both counts.  Any wiki discussion should also draw in
participants from other large projects (en:wp, de:wp, ja:wp, &c).

@DGG: I'll respond to your comments in another thread.

SJ