[Foundation-l] Statement on appropriate educational content

Casey Brown lists at caseybrown.org
Sun May 9 00:23:49 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:07 PM, Andreas Kolbe <jayen466 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Has it occurred to you that we could simply _age-rate_ articles, rather
> than delete them? An article on a pornographic novel could be 18-rated,
> just like the novel itself. Same with porn star bios, which aren't likely
> to be of interest to 9-year-olds.
>
> I would really like people to understand that when entering Wikipedia with
> an "adult" setting, you would never know any difference to how it is now. But if you're entering with a 12-year-old setting, you would not see the
> article on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogg_(novel) for example.
>
> What is so bad about that idea? Is it "censorship" to show adult-rated
> material to adults, but not to 12-year-olds?
>
> Framing this in terms of "gutting" or "censoring" Wikimedia projects
> completely misses the point.

We could just work within our existing category scheme and add another
tab to Special:Preferences that specifies what images you want to
see... e.g. if you want to hide sex-related images, you check a box
and wouldn't say images in the "Sex, Penis, Vagina, etc." categories.
If you're a Muslim, you can check a box so you don't see images in
Category:Muhammad.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023