[Foundation-l] Reflections on the recent debates

Svip svippy at gmail.com
Sat May 8 23:42:02 UTC 2010

On 9 May 2010 01:01, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 5/8/10 7:31 PM, Mike Godwin wrote:
>
>> I'm not defending such a criterion, and I do not believe that such a
>> criterion informed Jimmy's actions. Jimmy can speak better than I can on
>> what he was thinking,
>
> Then let him speak by himself

I think most of us would be biased to hear him speak (well,
metaphorically).  I too am guilty of such, by ignoring advice (even if
good and useful) simply because of who the speaker is.

Now, I would expect any public figure like Jimmy Wales to get a bit of
shit thrown at him occasionally, even from his own ranks.  But I have
to say, the tone has been far away from professional here and there.
So letting Godwin speaking on his behalf makes sense.

It's a fresh new approach to the discussion, because we are not
immediately biased by it being Wales speaking.

And not to mention that Godwin has a point; this was an opportunity in
disguise.  And unfortunately, in retrospect, this wasn't really picked
up by the community, instead it turned into another 'fight the power'
rebellion.

I do not condone Wales' methods of handling the whole situation (hell,
I am not sure how good he is at PR!), but that is a minor issue, but
since of course it becomes the classic 'tyrant' in action, people
focuses on the small 'controversial' things.  Opportunists, I suppose.