[Foundation-l] Reflections on the recent debates

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Sat May 8 18:42:18 UTC 2010

> Marc Riddell writes:
>

>> Mike, please stop and listen. The Community, which is the heart and soul of
>> this very Project, is ventilating, and making some extremely important
>> points. Please stop trying to control, and re-direct, this dialogue in a
>> more Foundation-comfortable direction. Listen and Learn.
>>

> Marc, I've been listening all along. Neither expression of disagreement nor
> an effort to focus on constructive solutions entails the conclusion that
> someone isn't listening.
>
> Now, did you hear and learn from what I just said?
>
> Best regards,
>

> --Mike

Mike, my ability to hear is good and I learn from everything I hear, my
ability to listen is excellent, and my ability to analyze is awesome :-).
This Community is trying to tell you something and, via this List, the
entire Foundation staff. Their anger right now is directed at a person whose
recent actions have shown a total disregard of their existence. And they
want some concrete assurance that it will not happen again. That is what
they want to talk about. Yet you insist on trying to steer the conversation
toward dealing rationally with policy. That rationality cannot be
accomplished with the level of emotion that exists within the group you are
trying to steer.

In psychological terms, denial of an issue is really saying, "Anything but
that". To admit that the "that" is the problem might mean having to
confront, and possibly get rid of, the "that". There is a hint of that in
your trying to steer this conversation.

Marc Riddell