[Foundation-l] Reflections on the recent debates

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:47:04 UTC 2010

On 8 May 2010 18:31, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Defending means lessening the chance of the opponent to succeed. If
>> you throw all the riches that are demanded and then some over the city
>> wall, that's not defending, that's capitulating.
>>

> Wow. Even worse metaphor! "All the riches that are demanded"!

Perhaps, but yours is no better. When you attack a village it is
because you want something they have (riches, land, women) or you just
want revenge for something. FOX don't want anything we have and they
don't really dislike us (sure, they would rather people went to them
for knowledge than us, but that isn't really what this is about). They
are attacking us simply because it makes exciting news and makes them
more money. That is a completely different motive to an attack on a
village so a defence based on a metaphor of an attack on a village is
bound to fail.