[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:15:19 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Samuel Klein wrote:
>
>> I don't think this is a technical issue at all.   Considering how
>> flexible and reversible wiki-actions are, it seems eminently
>> appropriate to me for the project founder to have 'unlimited
>> technical power' on the projects -- just as you and all of our
>> developers do, at a much higher level.
>
> Deletions are easily reversible.  Multi-wiki image transclusion
> removals, distrust in the Wikimedia Commons and resignations from
> Wikimedia projects?  Less so.

Seconding this.

The deletion of images which are actively in use is _NOT_ easily
reversible.  It can require editing dozens or even hundreds of pages
in languages which you don't speak to completely undo the results of a
commons deletion.

This, combined with maintaining good relationships with the projects,
is why all commons admins are very careful about deleting images which
are actively in use.  Experienced commons admins all know this.