[Foundation-l] Reflections on the recent debates

Mike Godwin mnemonic at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:10:23 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> So instead we just give in to them? We get attacked and decide to just
> sit up like a good dog?

No one is acting "like a good dog." Bad metaphor. When your village is
attacked and subject to future attacks, you build defenses. (Better
metaphor.) All defenses compromise your ability to do something besides
defend yourself -- that's the economics of biology. But we can't change the
way the world works by denying it.

> We dn't just say they're wrong, we join in to
> congratulate them.

I don't see anyone congratulating Fox except Fox and the usual folks aimed
at destroying us anway.

> I promise you, this would almost certainly not be an effective counter.
>
> Not towards Fox, but how about other news avenues?

I actually addressed this in my original posting.

> but to me, our own ideas and values ... should not be sacrificed to our
> popularity with a part of our audience.

I agree and posted nothing to the contrary.

> Even less should they be
> sacrificed in a way that is likely to be uneffective (you yourself
> said that Fox will present whatever we do as a proof of them being
> right and us being wrong).

See, you even recognize that I already said we won't win over Fox.

--Mike