[Foundation-l] Jimbo's Sexual Image Deletions

Andrew Garrett agarrett at wikimedia.org
Sat May 8 14:09:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett at wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> This isn't an ideal situation. We should have a situation in which
>> Jimmy's technical power derives from the authority of the board of
>> trustees or from a community mandate, or we should have a situation in
>> which Jimmy does not have unlimited technical power.
>
> I don't think this is a technical issue at all.   Considering how
> flexible and reversible wiki-actions are, it seems eminently
> appropriate to me for the project founder to have 'unlimited technical
> power' on the projects -- just as you and all of our developers do, at
> a much higher level.

Perhaps I should have written "Exercised unlimited technical power".
I'm referring to the general idea that Jimmy does what he feels like,
and communities have no recourse except to the Foundation and to the
Board.

As you rightly point out, developers and staff have the same powers,
but none of us make a habit of using them deliberately for large-scale
content deletion.

--
Andrew Garrett
http://werdn.us/