[Foundation-l] Where things stand now

Yann Forget yannfo at gmail.com
Sat May 8 13:36:42 UTC 2010

Hello Jimmy,

2010/5/8 Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia-inc.com>

> Much of the cleanup is done, although there was so much hardcore
> pornography on commons that there's still some left in nooks and crannies.

Some deleted images are certainly not hardcore pornography.

> I'm taking the day off from deleting, both today and tomorrow, but I do
> encourage people to continue deleting the most extreme stuff.
>
> But as the immediate crisis has passed (successfully!) there is not
> nearly the time pressure that there was.  I'm shifting into a slower mode.
>
> We were about to be smeared in all media as hosting hardcore pornography
> and doing nothing about it.  Now, the correct storyline is that we are
> cleaning up.  I'm proud to have made sure that storyline broke the way
> it did, and I'm sorry I had to step on some toes to make it happen.
>
> Now, the key is: let's continue to move forward with a responsible
> policy discussion.
>
> Jimmy Wales

Some cleaning may be needed regarding sexual content, but the way you
did it is hardly the good way to do it. Many contributors are pissed
off and upset. This is certainly not the best way to start a
meaningful discussion on a controversial topic. I think the Commons
community is well suited to take a decision regarding sexual content.
Your input on this subject would certainly have been regarded with the
most careful consideration. But acting under external pressure is not
a good think.

Regards,

Yann