[Foundation-l] Where things stand now

Pieter De Praetere pieterc.depraetere at ugent.be
Sat May 8 13:31:06 UTC 2010

You clearly missed the point do you?

Nobody has the power to declare policy at commons but the community and
the board. You are neither. You have behaved like a vandal, and every
other user would have been blocked ad infinitum. This is not about porn,
this about you abusing your status in the most evil way anyone could
have imagined. If you had followed the correct procedure, instead of
going on a deletion spree, everything would have been settled and most
images would have been deleted anyway.

This is unacceptible behaviour and is inexcusable. Delete first and
discuss later is not the way commons works and it has never worked that
way. You say you are proud? Well, you can be proud. You have destroyed
all confidence people had in you, and frankly, you don't deserve any better.

If you think stepping toes is the right way to do it, perhaps you should
state instead of "an encyclopaedia everyone can edit" "a site that is
run in accordance with the whims and fancies of the former owner".

A disgruntled former Commons admin.

- -----------------
Much of the cleanup is done, although there was so much hardcore
pornography on commons that there's still some left in nooks and crannies.

I'm taking the day off from deleting, both today and tomorrow, but I do
encourage people to continue deleting the most extreme stuff.

But as the immediate crisis has passed (successfully!) there is not
nearly the time pressure that there was.  I'm shifting into a slower mode.

We were about to be smeared in all media as hosting hardcore pornography
and doing nothing about it.  Now, the correct storyline is that we are
cleaning up.  I'm proud to have made sure that storyline broke the way
it did, and I'm sorry I had to step on some toes to make it happen.

Now, the key is: let's continue to move forward with a responsible
policy discussion.