[Foundation-l] Statement on appropriate educational content

Victor Vasiliev vasilvv at gmail.com
Sat May 8 12:28:07 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:30 PM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net> wrote:
> Having said that, the Wikimedia projects are intended to be educational
> in nature, and there is no place in the projects for material that has
> no educational or informational value.

I'd like to point out that we already have a project where most
information has no educational value. It's called Wikisource and
materials there are primarily of artistic value, not educational or
information one. Since I basically support the idea that one of
Wikimedia Commons aims is to collect as much notable works of art as
possible, I view it as a Wikisource for visual arts and music.

Should we expect Wikisource to be cleaned up as well? Does Foundation
feel need to host such highly disputed works as [1] or [2]?

--vvv

[1] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Lady_Chatterley's_Lover
[2] http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Fanny_Hill:_Memoirs_of_a_Woman_of_Pleasure