[Foundation-l] MMORPG and Wikimedia

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Fri May 7 04:21:28 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 6, 2010, at 10:24 PM, geni wrote:
>>
>> 3D objects could already be supported as .blend files although we
>> don't at this point.
>>
>> --
>> geni
>
> But not the manipulation of them in a fully interactive physics based 3d environment with simultaneous interaction from thousands of other concurrent users.

That is "virtual reality" for its own sake, rather than for
instructional benefits.
And consider those "concurrent users" including children.

There is a lot of research about the pedagogical and epistemological
opportunities in VR, but the cases were it is clearly beneficial are
not numerous and probably only useful on Wikiversity, and I doubt you
will find anyone advocating for the educational advantages of
"interaction from .. concurrent [pseudonymous adults and children]".

--
John Vandenberg