[Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for April 29

Sue Gardner susanpgardner at gmail.com
Sat May 1 01:47:18 UTC 2010

(Sorry for top-posting: Blackberry.)

I just want to add a brief note supporting what William's saying.  Yes -- it definitely takes more time to respond to angry or hostile-seeming mails.  Trust gets impaired, and so the respondent spends time trying to figure out whether the person's really angry, or just curt... maybe asking other people if they have any insight.... and then framing a very careful reply and rereading it for tone before hitting send.  Essentially, it's just easier and faster to have open conversation if the tone is constructive all round.

So yes: hostility costs money.  One answer to that is F2F meetings.  Spending in-person time together definitely builds trust and friendliness. Once we know each other as human beings, online interactions are faster, easier, with less friction.

I for example have now met Thomas Dalton in person three or four times, which is good. I like him much more now than I used to :-)

Thanks,
Sue