[Foundation-l] Flagged Protection update for April 29

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat May 1 00:19:15 UTC 2010

On 1 May 2010 01:14, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:
> On 04/30/2010 04:55 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
>>> You thanked Thomas three times in that e-mail. If I may say so, such
>>> courtesy is unwarranted, in light of the terseness of his most recent
>>> post. We're all volunteers, so colour me confused as to why people
>>> think head-biting will achieve anything.
>>>
>> My understanding is that William is being paid.
>>

> I'm intrigued by the notion that you don't have to be nice to people
> that are paid to deal with you. Since I gave the foundation a 70%
> discount from my normal rates, perhaps you can shoot for a mix of 70%
> courtesy and 30% head-biting?

I don't do "nice", to staff or volunteers. I make the point that I
feel needs to be made. This does tend to annoy a lot of people, but
despite that a large number of people actively choose to work with me
because they realise that my approach gets good results.

The main difference in my approach to staff and volunteers is that I
hold staff to higher standards. If you are a volunteer, I expect you
to do your best, whatever that may be. If you are being paid then I
expect you to do a good job.