[Foundation-l] Copyrighted maps and Derived works from copyrighted sources.

Dan Rosenthal swatjester at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 21:30:04 UTC 2010

>> I'm not familiar with the particular project/maps/geodata in
>> question, but a blanket statement that claiming copyright on a map
>> is "absurdity" is itself wrong.
>>
>> -Dan
>>
> If I'm not mistaken, the thread is not about the copyrightability of
> maps themselves, but the copyrightability of location data pertaining
> to digital maps, i.e. the very "non-pictoral fact compilations"
> mentioned in the statement you provided.
>
> - --
> Cary Bass
> Volunteer Coordinator, Wikimedia Foundation

It may have started off that way, but my impression was it quickly became "All maps are free". That may have been a misinterpretation of GerardM's post.

My broader point is that the situation is not entirely black and white. Blanket statements that "all X can never be done" are a bit dangerous to make.

-Dan