[Foundation-l] Copyrighted maps and Derived works from copyrighted sources.

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Wed Mar 31 20:45:10 UTC 2010

In a message dated 3/31/2010 1:30:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com writes:

> (e) use the Products in a manner that gives you or any other person
> access to mass downloads or bulk feeds of any Content, including but
> not limited to numerical latitude or longitude coordinates, imagery,
> and visible map data;
>
> ---Well if I import all the points from wikipedia, it is equivalent to
> such a mass import.>>

Yes we have examples where a legitimate copyright holder over-extends their
claimed rights.  Regardless the USGS provides these exact same lat/long
points.  If you're concerned than use them.

Start here on my page of genealogy tools
http://www.countyhistorian.com/cecilweb/index.php/Sources

Near the top there's a link to the USGS called "Find a Town"
which takes you here
http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic/f?p=127:1:1089405488282263

You can look for more than just "towns", for example airports, cemeteries,
creeks, whatever.  For example look for Baptist in Arkansas, Hempstead
County and you get eighteen entries with latitude and longitude for the Baptist
churches.

W.J.