[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 23:31:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 10:13 AM, Mike Godwin <mgodwin at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 4:03 PM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Are you saying that the PD tag on this page is incorrect?
>>
>> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Volvo_logo.svg
>
> Oh, I'm saying something much more lawyerly than that -- I'm saying I don't
> know whether Volvo would accept the declaration that the logo is not
> protected by copyright.

Mike,

Of course we don't know - the only two ways of knowing is for Volvo to
explicitly state this in a legally binding wording, or for it to be
decided by a court.

There have been similar decisions by courts, both overseas and in the
US, and it is on that basis that we have a "PD-text" tag.

In your earlier comment, which you have now snipped, you asserted that
Sv.Wp was doing the wrong thing:

"I hope no one thinks Swedish Wikipedians (or anyone else) is free to
reuse the Volvo logo
without a license."

Do you now accept that it is quite possible that this logo could be
appropriately tagged as PD and its use in Sv.Wp articles is congruent
with their position about the removal of non-free WMF logos from
articles?

--
John Vandenberg