[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 18:39:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM, John Vandenberg <jayvdb at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/3/30 Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com>:
>> This means that Wikimedia logos are now _not used_ in the Swedish
>> Wikipedia to illustrate articles on the Wikimedia projects, I suppose.
>> Right?
>>
>> But as I understood Lennart's first email, I think that sv Wikipedia
>> also has decided not to use the logos even on internal navigation
>> templates and such to link/identify other Wikimedia projects, right?
>
> That is correct.
> e.g.
> http://sv.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?diff=11402949&oldid=11192788
>
>> What about the top left corner of every page, has it also been decided
>> that the Wikipedia logo used to identify the website should go too?
>
> That is the website UI, which is not content.  They could say that the
> UI should also be completely "free" of copyrighted works.  IMO that
> would be going overboard.

If that is the case, while I understand and actually respect the
decision not to use Wikimedia logos _to illustrate articles_ (although
I don't agree with it), I find it extremely inconsequent and illogical
to take away the logos that are in navigation templates and pointing
to other material in other Wikimedia projects.

As far as I'm concerned, these are part of the UI as much as the
Wikipedia logo in the top left corner, and, more important, I find
this decision actually harms our mission of "distributing" free
content. If Wikimedia projects don't help themselves, I wonder who
will.

Delphine

--
~notafish