[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Andre Engels andreengels at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 07:42:08 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Mike Godwin <mnemonic at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's crazy. sv.wiki still has "unfree" logo on every page :)
>> It is "unfree" to protect wiki identity.
>>

> This is exactly right.  If we had no copyright or trademark restrictions on
> the Wikimedia logos and marks, it would be trivial for proprietary vendors
> to use the unrestricted logos in association with unfree content.

But how about with trademark and without copyright restrictions? Or

> My guess, admittedly based on nothing but anecdotal evidence, is that the
> Swedish Wikipedians who created this largely artificial and unnecessary
> dispute have not consulted independent trademark and copyright experts with
> regard to the rationale for their decision.

Suppose they had, what would those experts have answered. I am not an
expert, but I think I know enough of it to say that the type of
organization that owns the copyright on a logo makes no difference
regarding the question whether it is or is not allowed to include the
logo.

André Engels, andreengels at gmail.com