[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 06:10:52 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:11 AM, Marcus Buck <me at marcusbuck.org> wrote:
> The Swedish Wikipedia decision is consequent and logical. Logos are
> copyrighted. Copyrighted material cannot be included. So no logos. It's
> plain and simple. The problem is not the reasonable decision of the
> Swedish Wikipedia, but the unreasonable decision of the Foundation to
> claim copyright for the logos. The foundation did that because they
> thought that would make it easier to defend the brand. But that's just
> intermingling trademarks and copyright. Trademark protection does
> everything we need. No need for additional copyright protection. The
> Coca Cola logo is PD-old (and in many jurisdictions also PD-ineligible)
> and they have no problem defending their brand. Why should Wikimedia
> logos be any different?
>
> Just release the logos under a free license and the problem will be gone.

Just allow me to ask for a clarification.

We're talking about article space, right?

This means that Wikimedia logos are now _not used_ in the Swedish
Wikipedia to illustrate articles on the Wikimedia projects, I suppose.
Right?

But as I understood Lennart's first email, I think that sv Wikipedia
also has decided not to use the logos even on internal navigation
templates and such to link/identify other Wikimedia projects, right?

What about the top left corner of every page, has it also been decided
that the Wikipedia logo used to identify the website should go too?

Thanks for your clarification on this.

Cheers,

Delphine

--