[Foundation-l] Swedish Wikipedians removes Wikimedia logos

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 23:14:11 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:03 PM, MZMcBride <z at mzmcbride.com> wrote:
> George Herbert wrote:
>> If this was the English Wikipedia, the response would be somewhere
>> between "please do not be silly" and "Stop this or we will block you
>> for disrupting Wikipedia to prove a point ( [[WP:DISRUPT]] )".
>
> Read this thread before making such claims. The English Wikipedia did have
> this conversation and the outcome was nothing similar to what you've said.
>
>> I don't know Swedish Wikipedia's local standards and policy - but as
>> Dave Gerard and Ting say, this is at the very least silly.  We can't
>> stop you from being silly, but it's not constructive in building an
>> encyclopedia.  If you want to play legal games or fight intellectual
>> property law reform fights, this may not be the project for you.
>
> Huh? There is a large subset of users on some Wikimedia wikis who do nothing
> more than "play legal games or fight intellectual property law reform
> fights." To say it's incompatible with participation is ludicrous.
>
> MZMcBride

I am aware of that.  It's not necessary to tolerate it, as it's
completely unrelated to our mission to build an encyclopedia, and
often gets in the way of doing so.

We have a tendency to let open content people go to town, as the
project and foundation widely benefit from open content and we'd all
like to encourage it.  But that's not an open license for them to
damage the encyclopedia.

It's happened in the past.  The last couple of instances on en.wp that
I can recall got blocks.  I don't think that was the wrong outcome,
though your opinion may vary.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com