[Foundation-l] Is "Wiktionary" copyright?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 22:51:53 UTC 2010

On 28 March 2010 23:41, Andrew Turvey <andrewrturvey at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Is the term "Wiktionary" copyrighted? I only ask because the OpenDemocracy website has recently started a "Dictionary of Ethical Politics "wikitionary""
>
> http://resurgence.opendemocracy.net/index.php/Main_Page
>
> If it is copyrighted, you may want to say something to them, or else it will end up like the "hoover" - a generic term usable by anyone.

Individual words can't be copyrighted, as far as I know (and copyright
exists automatically for those things that can be). I think you mean
registered as a trademark. Mike Godwin has been working his way
through registering various trademarks in various countries. I don't
know how widely Wiktionary has been trademarked, but it is trademarked
in the US:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4010:9phjbp.2.2