[Foundation-l] Jimbo's authority (on "global bans")

geni geniice at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 21:12:39 UTC 2010

On 25 March 2010 20:33, George Herbert <george.herbert at gmail.com> wrote:
> Both the "yes he does" and "no he doesn't" sides are asserting and
> assuming rather than reporting a known quantity.
>
> There has been no organized or widespread attempt to either ask Jimmy
> to give it up or to take it away.  I can name a number of individuals
> who assert that should happen, but there's no poll, no project, no
> policy proposal to do so.
>
> We simply don't know what the community actually feels about it, in
> part because Jimmy uses the power so sparingly that very very few
> people ever encounter it firsthand.

Well there isn't really any mechanism to carry out a global ban the
various languages don't talk to each other enough for that.

A more realistic say english language project ban would be entirely
dependent on how the various communities of admins felt about the
individual in question. Certainly it has been shown that at the
present time there is no project that considers Jimbo's word to be
final.

--
geni