[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Wed Mar 24 00:05:21 UTC 2010

That is a good idea, but you have the work cut
out for you. Simply e-mail the article
«Portuguese language» to the largest possible
number of professors of Portuguese at the most
prestigious universities in the world and in both
Portugal and Brazil and ask for their comments. A
few things in that article and in both the
could use a few touches. You got to send out the
article to a lot of professors to unsure that
you'll get a few answers. Be sure to ask
permission to publish their comments. Copy/Paste
them to the article discussion page and there you have it.

That is the long road. The short way? Take a look
at the articles «Língua portuguesa», «Português
trust those responsible for an Encyclopedia that
have the articles about their own language in
that sorry state? OK, not all is that bad. You
can always feast your eyes in the excellent
translation made in «Futebol», or for something
completely different, how about «Bruna Ferraz»?
If you're male and above 18, don't miss on what
the Commons have to offer. For something
Portuguese, you can take a look at «Braga». I do
agree that those two towers of the cathedral
don't stand a chance in the comparison.

A final note. It is perfectly alright with
everybody to say «Brazilian Portuguese». I wonder
what Google might have to say about the
difference between «European Portuguese» and
«Portuguese of Portugal» (not even mentioned in
the English version, but written as an
alternative title in the Portuguese version -
«português de Portugal»). European Portuguese?
Only in Wikipedia. I bet you that if you asked on
the street about it, people would not know what
you're talking about or wonder if it is the
Portuguese used in Brussels or some other place
like that. I don't think such thing even exists.
There's always been one and only one Portuguese,
the Portuguese of Portugal. Everything else are
just its descendancy spread all over the world, aside from syphilis, of course.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado