[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:14:15 UTC 2010

Virgilio A. P. Machado wrote:

> I understand that the topic started with a suggestion to create "a
> new version of Wikipedia in Portuguese from Portugal", but I can't
> fail to notice that, for the wider Wikimedia community, avoiding to
> address any of problems of the Portuguese Wikipedia, might be very
> convenient to keep it where it is, mired in problems. We all have
> problems of our own, right? Why bother?

While it may be true that not all contributors in this
thread have written with perfect comprehension of
the specific situation, I do think the above characterization
of possible motivations is frankly beyond the pale.

Please understand that nobody -- really nobody -- wishes
for Portuguese Wikipedia to remain mired in problems.

Personally I do believe that notwithstanding that, the
best experts on how to heal the rifts within the Portuguese
Wikipedia might not come from the outside. That is my
personal view, lacking a believable plan of action for how
the foundation or some other external part of the larger
community could effect a healing action on the Portuguese
community.

Yours,

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen