[Foundation-l] Fwd: Pt-Portuguese Wikipedia

Virgilio A. P. Machado vam at fct.unl.pt
Tue Mar 23 12:58:52 UTC 2010

I don't see any evidence that "nobody outside the
Portuguese community can see a problem" unless
one personal opinion should be considered proof.

The statement was not about anybody outside the
Portuguese community seeing a problem, but that
"the issue keeps popping up". The very fact that
is being addressed here corroborates that
statement. Examples of previous discussions were
also provided spanning a period of five years. No
evidence has been produced to the contrary, i.e.,
that the issue does not keep popping up.

If "it all seems to be a lot of fuss about
nothing" that might be because appearances can be
deceiving and burring your head in the sand or
looking the other way will not make any existing
problems go away, although everybody is entitled
to ignore them. That's a very common attitude
when the problems are not at your doorstep,
although there's always the danger that they will
eventually get there. Again, the very fact that
this discussion is taking place here is a symptom
that there is a fuss about something.

No statements were made concerning the creation
or not of a "two-wiki solution". It's nice to
know that someone believes that "the wider
Wikimedia community will never accept a two-wiki
solution". Hopefully not everybody will have such
a preconceived idea and keep an open mind about
the specific needs of specific projects. Until
the problems and needs are properly accessed it
is premature to dismiss any alternative solution.

Thank you so much for suggesting the "one-wiki
solution [...] used by the English Wikipedia,
namely: stop complaining and just write
encyclopaedia articles." Assuming that you'll
follow your own advice, your contributions to a
constructive dialog will be sorely missed.

Indulgence can be an act of tolerance, a moderate
form of respect, which is the basis for
non-discrimination. As for childish arguments
about nothing, there is something to be said for
someone that bothered to address them. It is an
example to be followed. If you do not engage
youngsters in rational conversation often enough,
even if it is about nothing, they might grow up
to become rude adults or total morons.

Sincerely,

Virgilio A. P. Machado

Prof. Virgilio A. P. Machado            vam at fct.unl.pt
Engenharia
Industrial
http://web.archive.org/web/20070824105539/www.ipei.pt/GDEI/
DEMI/FCT/UNL                    Fax:   351-21-294-8546 or 21-294-8531
Universidade de Portugal                or 351-21-295-4461
2829-516 Caparica                       Tel.:  351-21-294-8542 or 21-294-8567
PORTUGAL                                or 351-21-294-8300 or 21 294-8500
                                         Ext.112-32
96-577-3726
Faculdade de Ciencias e Tecnologia/UNL (FCT/UNL)

(Dr. Machado is Associate Professor of Industrial Engineering at the
School of Sciences and Engineering/UNL of the University of Portugal)