[Foundation-l] How to kill a mailing list

Jon Davis wiki at konsoletek.com
Wed Mar 17 07:06:23 UTC 2010

I hardly think this is a "killed" list. If I've got my emails straight, the
"soft limit" of 30 emails per month was implemented November 13th, 2009.
Don't remember what happened in October... anyways.  Declaring the list
"dead" because the message count is dead is a major case of edit-count-itis.

Let's be honest, everyone knows that Foundation-l has a reputation and
nicknames to go with it.  Flame-l, hell-l, spam-l... to name some of the
more polite ones.  Myself, as someone who rarely writes anything to the list
(This will make message 2? or 3? in the last 18 months) it was quite plain
to see that the signal to noise ratio was.... ..was... how does one
mathmatically represent 'useless'? From an average of 34 messages a day to
an average of 7, I think the change is for the better.

Anyways, as with most mediums, there were a few extremely noisy people
generating 90% of the mail volume.  With the soft limit of 30 they must
think twice about their messages.  Not that they couldn't go over the
limits.  The mods said several times that the soft limit would just kick
people into "auto-moderation" but if they had valid messages, they would
still be approved.

I'm glad things are the way they are now, and I hope the mods continue their
good work.

-Jon

--
Jon