[Foundation-l] Internet nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Thu Mar 11 18:20:38 UTC 2010

Brian J Mingus wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 11:03 AM, Michael Snow <wikipedia at verizon.net>wrote:
>
>> Brian J Mingus wrote:

>>> I'm actually not sure how unmanned bombers are not a tool for peace given
>>> our current situation. As Obama noted very eloquently in his Nobel
>>> acceptance speech even though we may dream of world peace it is not yet a
>>> reality. The reality is that we have rogue regimes, unstable
>>>
>> international
>>
>>> relationships, religious wars, insane people who manage to get elected as
>>> POTUS, etc...
>>>
>> Can we discuss something else, rather than having the list get
>> sidetracked into geopolitical debates that aren't at all useful to the
>> work we do? Aside from fantasizing about a share of the prize money,
>> even the original subject was not especially on-topic for discussion
>> here. Thank you.
>>
>> --Michael Snow
>>
> Yes, hardly anything is relevant for discussion on this list anymore. It
> happens either on internal WMF mailing lists or IRL.

It's not that those discussions wouldn't be relevant to have on this
list, and periodically people try and encourage others to move them to a
more public setting. It's that when this list continues to show a
tendency for conversation to degenerate, as it just did, then it's quite
hard to persuade people that they should want to have their discussions
here.

--Michael Snow