[Foundation-l] Internet nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Thu Mar 11 17:10:25 UTC 2010

Amir E. Aharoni wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 01:40, Brian J Mingus <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com
>>> wrote:
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8560469.stm
>>>
>>> We're the biggest non-profit website in the world. That sounds like
>>> argument for us to get the prize money to me.
>>>
>> The Internet is definitely worthy of the prize as a whole but I'm not
>> following the logic that for-profit websites are more deserving. Google,
>> for
>> example, is a major force for peace. In fact it is the biggest popularizer
>> of Wikimedia content.
>>

> Yes, but Google doesn't really need the prize money.
>
> Although giving it all to Wikimedia is probably not quite right either.

Give the Nobel Peace Prize to DARPA for designing the Internet. And
they've made so many other excellent contributions to peace, like
unmanned bombers and anti-missile lasers.

Seriously, the only reason I can think of that the committee would
choose "the internet" as a recipient is if they wanted to make an even
more bizarre choice than last year.

-- Tim Starling