[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is fun

Brian J Mingus Brian.Mingus at Colorado.EDU
Mon Mar 8 02:03:39 UTC 2010

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 March 2010 00:14, Tyler <programmer651 at comcast.net> wrote:
> > That's not what I asked.  I said, in 2001, Wikipedia was founded, right?
> The earliest edit in >edit history is 2002.  What was the home page in 2001
> then?
> >

> Nope oldest edit is 2001:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia:UuU&oldid=291430

Of interest is this edit to Nupedia from August 8, 2000 to the
article Hydatius which I just found while trawling archive.org:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000817023612/http://www.nupedia.com/newest.phtml

There is also a Nupedia edit on July 25, 2000 to the article atonality but
its text is not available. I believe these should be considered the earliest
edits in Wikipedia's history, the evolutionary differences between
Nupedia/Wikipedia notwithstanding.

I also find it interesting that the articles on Nupedia and History of
Wikipedia  do not mention that before Nupedia was an encyclopedia it was a
directory to sources of factual information on the internet, as is easily
verified on archive.org. I wonder, given the controversy between
Sanger/Wales regarding cofounderness, if the actual brainstorming and
prototyping processes early on in Wikipedia's history are actually
documented. That would require a Sanger/Wales collaboration.