[Foundation-l] Werner Icking Music Archive may be closing

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Mar 5 17:27:35 UTC 2010

David Gerard wrote:
> On 1 March 2010 12:52, Andrew Gray wrote:
>
>> Judging from (an older version of?) the website, it's a general
>> non-commercial license on all submissions:
>> ::: The archive contains "free" sheet music, free for non-commercial usage. This
>> ::: means that you may download the files and print paper copies, but neither
>> ::: the files nor the paper copies may be sold. (...)
>> http://www.daimi.au.dk/~reccmo/scores/Introduction.html#copyright
>> I suspect the older (& definitionally public domain) material, could
>> be rehosted, but we'd have to seperate that out from the rest, and
>> then tackle the problem of whether any "editing" people have done to
>> them gives rise to new copyrights...
>>
> So if we can help them find a new home that isn't us, we can at least
> then pick out and curate the PD stuff.
>
> Anyone got a contact at IA or ibiblio

What organisations like this, or new projects like the almanac proposal,
need is encouragement to find funding for their own sites. WMF's size
gives it a big advantage in fundraising, but a diversity of sites is
healthy for the state of online information.  We are familiar with
nearly all the intellectual conflicts going around, but the danger in
our addiction to reliability is in the marginalization of alternative
views because of technical interpretations of the rules. We need more of
these independent sites, each with its own policies, its own legal
risks, and own funding.

Ec