[Foundation-l] Werner Icking Music Archive may be closing

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Mar 1 12:52:18 UTC 2010

On 1 March 2010 00:06, church.of.emacs.ml
<church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work out. I sent Christian Mondrup
> an Email asking for more details and he responded that he had already
> contacted Wikimedia. As the majority of the works cannot be licensed
> under a Creative Commons license (from which I conclude that the works
> are non-free), WMF won't host the website.

Judging from (an older version of?) the website, it's a general
non-commercial license on all submissions:

::: The archive contains "free" sheet music, free for non-commercial usage. This
::: means that you may download the files and print paper copies, but neither
::: the files nor the paper copies may be sold. (...)

http://www.daimi.au.dk/~reccmo/scores/Introduction.html#copyright

I suspect the older (& definitionally public domain) material, could
be rehosted, but we'd have to seperate that out from the rest, and
then tackle the problem of whether any "editing" people have done to
them gives rise to new copyrights...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk