[Foundation-l] Sue Gardner, Erik Möller , William Pietri: Where is FlaggedRevisions?

Brian J Mingus Brian.Mingus at Colorado.EDU
Mon Mar 1 06:57:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 28 February 2010 22:17, Brian J Mingus <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>
> wrote:
> > I run a mediawiki farm with mediawiki trunk installed. I've got the
> process
> > of setting up new wikis scripted and can set one up in 30 seconds. If you
> > just need a place to install a wiki you should be able to find one no
> > problem. Also, WMF has a whack of servers. You should have absolutely no
> > problem getting one in short order. Particularly for a "high priority"
> > project. My 2 cents.
>
> The problem isn't getting a wiki running, it's getting a wiki running
> in a way comparable to English Wikipedia, which is far from a default
> Mediawiki install. Given that these are the people that actually keep
> the enwiki servers running, I wouldn't expect it to take them this
> long, though...

Setting up cur en has been surprisingly easy in the past, particularly with
the advent of that fast C->mysql dump importer. And many people can afford
those cheap dell quad core nehalem i7 cpus "desktops".

But honestly I don't see why it can't just be thrown up on any old apache by
an experienced wmf admin in a matter of minutes, using the live data but not
attached to squid, memcached etc.. Honestly, how much load are we going to
subject this thing to right away?