[Foundation-l] Wikisource and reCAPTCHA

John Vandenberg jayvdb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 10:13:49 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 7:49 PM, Samuel Klein <sjklein at hcs.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Andre, this is a great summary -- I've linked to it from the english
> ws Scriptorium.
>
> Do you see opportunities for the two projects to coordinate their
> wofklows better?

I don't understand your use of 'coordinate' in this context.

Wikisource has a very lax workflow (it's a wiki), it publishes the
scans & text immediately, irrespective of whether it is verified, OCR
quality, or if it is vandalism.  However, wikisource keeps the images
and the text unified from day 0 to eternity.

PGDP has a very strict and arduous workflow, big projects end up stuck
in the rounds (the remaining EB projects are a great example), and
they are not published until they make it out of the rounds.  The
result is quality, however only the text is sent downstream.

Wikisource and PGDP don't interoperate.  We *could*, but when I looked
at importing a PGDP project into Wikisource, I put it in the too hard
basket.

Wikisource is trying to become a credible competitor to PGDP.  However
this isnt a zero-sum game.  If the Wikisource projects succeeds in
demonstrating the wiki way is a viable approach, the result is
different people choosing to work in different workflows/projects, and
more reliable etexts being produced.

--
John Vandenberg